The consequences of overstaying in Turkey

Update : 03.09.2015 Overstaying in Turkey might occur in three possible ways; A foreign national, might overstay a visa; or might breach the 90 in 180 days rule during his/her stay in Turkey, or might continue to stay in Turkey without renewing his/her residence permit after its expiry period.

90 in any 180 Days Rule In compliance with the Decision of the Council of Ministers dated 10.10.2011, No: 2011/2306, starting from 01 February 2012, total duration of stay of foreigners who visit Turkey as tourists cannot exceed 90 days in any 180 days period. Foreigners, who are intending to stay in Turkey longer than mentioned period (90 days in 180 days period), are required to apply for residence permit.

An overstayer, in all mentioned circumstances, will be subject to administrative fine and as well as might be barred to re-enter Turkey lawfully for a fixed term.

ADMINISTRATIVE FINES

In case of overstaying tourist visa (or breaching 90/180 days rule)  or exceeding validity period of residence permit, foreigners will be subject to administrative fines.   According to Law on Duties no: 492 section 6, failing to apply for residence permit or failing to renew the existing one, does not prevent collection of the fees for overstayed period. Administrative fine may vary according to the nationality of the foreigner. This fee is calculated on the basis of double amount of existing permit fee charges. In addition to the permit fees, if applicable, administrative fine may include residence permit card fee  and single entry visa fee.  (For details permit fees page.)

LIST A LIST B LIST C LIST D LIST E

K. Marino

DAILY FEES 1  $ 0.5 $ 0.4 $ 0.3 $ 0.2 $ 13,30 TL
MINIMUM  MAXIMUM 10-25 $ 5-14 $ 4-9 $ 3-7 $ 2-5 $ 24,80-126,70 TL
FIRST MONTH 25 $ 14 $ 9 $ 7 $ 5 $ 126,70 TL
REMAINING MONTHS 5 $ 3.5 $ 2.5 $ 1.5 $ 0.5 $ 84,20TL

RE – ENTRY BAN FOR OVERSTAYING IN TURKEY

An entry ban is imposed to the foreign nationals who are staying in Turkey illegally when they don’t have valid visa or a valid residence permit.

In case of an overstay of less than 10 days, no entry ban will be imposed.  Moreover “entry ban order will not be issued against the foreigners who exceed the duration of visa, visa exemption or residence permit for more than ten days and arrive at the border gates to exit before a removal decision is taken against them. However, the foreigners who violate the mentioned durations of visa, visa exemption, work permit or residence permit will pay a fine.” (For more information you may consult to the  Ministry of Interior Directorate General  of Migraion Management –Frequently Asked Questions about Foreigners.)

The Length of ban is approximately corresponds to the length of overstayed period.  Notification about the entry ban period and the administrative fine is issued at the border gates.  In case of failing to pay imposed administrative fine, a foreign national might be barred to enter Turkey for five years period.

Maximum duration of an entry ban to Turkey is five years. “The entry ban to Turkey for foreigners whose visa or residence permit has expired and who has applied to the governorates to exit from Turkey before their situation is established by the competent authorities upon which a removal decision has been taken, shall not exceed one year.” (Art.9/4  Law no 6458 on Foreigners and International Protection)

Entry ban might be lifted in case the overstayed person applies to the Turkish missions abroad for the relevant type of visa. Applications are forwarded to the Turkish Ministry of Interior for approval and the visa can be issued upon the affirmative instructions of the Ministry.

Please consider that the website you have visited contains general information only, not legal advice. Although Expatuci Relocation has taken great care in compiling the content of Expat Guide publication and Expat Guide Turkey website,we cannot guarantee that all information is accurate and complete.

RELATED LEGISLATION

• For Entry Ban, you may consult to Articles 9 and 10, for new deportation rules you may consult to the second part (section 4) of the Law no.6458.
  • For the interpretation of the Law no.6458,you may consult to the official page of Directorate General of the Migration Management. Frequently Asked Questions about Foreigner

Notify of
guest
931 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Dana
Dana

Hi,

I just wanted to check about my E visa- I just purchased my second one on the 4th of January 2020 and entered the country on the 6th of January – currently here. I purchased my second visa two days after my very first e visa expired and then came to Turkey. I just wanted to confirm that if the system let me buy a new visa then I shouldn’t have any issues leaving the country? To clarify, I bought my first visa on the 3rd of July 2019 and then I went to Turkey for just 5 days from July 7th- 12th and did not return the rest of that visa. I just know these visas are complicated and I wanted to make sure I didn’t break any rules!

Reply to  Dana

Thank you for your comment.

Visa regulations depend on your nationality. If for your nationality period of stay is 90 days within 180 days and you spent in Turkey less than 90 days within the validity period of your visa, you are allowed to obtain a new visa whenever the previous one is expired and reenter the country on this basis.

Kind Regards,

Your thoughts are important to us. Are you satisfied with the answers we have given to your questions? Please rate us and leave a comment.Click here

Siphethumusa Shabangu
Siphethumusa Shabangu
1 year ago

I’m a Zimbabwean with a 6 months visa so I entered turkey on the 23 of December but my visa will be expiring on the 20 of January 2020 now my question is since I’ve already overstayed by less than 10 days and I want to live because I didn’t notice that my visa only allows me to be in the country for only 10days will I be in trouble by the immigration

Thank you for your comment.

If you overstayed your visa for a short period of time and will leave the country during upcoming days, you will need to pay a fine for overstaying while leaving Turkey. If you pay the fine, there would be no other consequences of your overstay.

Pepper
Pepper

Hello,
I am a German citizen in Turkey, I have a residence permit that expires on January 24th 2020. My returning flight is on February 1st, which is within the ten days after expiry.
However I have planned a trip to Georgia from the 21th to 28th of January, which means my residence permit will expire during my trip. My question is whether I can reenter Turkey with an expired residence permit within those ten days of allowed overstay.
Kind regards,

Reply to  Pepper

Thank you for your comment.

As your residence permit will expire while you would be outside of Turkey, you will need new visa in order to reenter the country.

Amirul
Amirul
1 year ago

Hi, I’m Student here currently studying in ODTU and probably finishing my study this month (January). I have a question, my residence permit (Ikamet) is expired on 1st of January and It is better to extend or pay the bill?, I’m trying to extend it, but the appointment might come late January or even February and I have appointment on 8th of January to go to Istanbul (I’m Living in Ankara), It is save for me to travel when the residence permit is expired?

Amirul
Amirul
Reply to  Amirul

*safe

Reply to  Amirul

Thank you for your comment.

If you would apply for extension of your residence permit and as long as your application would be already lodged in the system while travelling, you should have your application form with you so you would not face any problems while travelling within Turkey.

Ann nguyen
Ann nguyen
1 year ago

I have a question. My fiancé is currently stuck at Istanbul airport due to his overstayed visa. He had submitted the work document to the immigration office inside the airport but have not heard anything back from them for almost a week. What should he do? Go to the embassy?

Reply to  Ann nguyen

Thank you for your comment.

Your fiance should contact Embassy/Consulate in Turkey for help in his case.

Mariam
Mariam

Hello,

I am a British citizen with a tourist residency which expires on 10th January 2020. I have booked an appointment but the only availability is in March 2020. If I overstay will this cause me any issues? Or is it best to leave the country and come back on a tourist visa? Thanks

Reply to  Mariam

Thank you for your comment.

As your application is already lodged in the system, you are allowed to stay in Turkey legally until receiving the result of your application even if your visa has already expired.

Mariam
Mariam
Reply to

Thank you for your reply. What happens if I leave before my visa appointment for renewal and cancel my appointment? Will they ban me and fine me? Thanks for your help.

Bechem
Bechem

Hello

Please I want to find out if one can still do a residence permit even after your visa have expired with over 4months of overstay. And if yes then how much will it cost to do it

Reply to  Bechem

Thank you for your comment.

It is not possible to obtain residence permit after your visa has already expired. You need to leave Turkey and reenter the country with new visa to be eligible for residence permit application.

Samia
1 year ago

My resident permit expires on 24 January 2020 some how I can not book my appointment for extension, I visit immigration officers they said I can apply now after the expiry date on my card within 10 days? And I m pragnant can’t travel?

Reply to  Samia

Thank you for your comment.

Residence permit can be extended the earliest two months before the expiration date and the latest 10 days after the expiration of your current residence permit.

Mahmoud
Mahmoud
1 year ago

I have come to Istanbul on 29 Sep. 2019, applied for 1 year residency , had an appointment on 29 Nov. 2019, and waiting for the Ikamet permission.
Question can i leave turkey on 29 Dec. for ten days? and return on 8 Jan. 2020? Or should I stay in Turkey until I receive the residency permission? Your advise please, I have an Israeli passport.
Many Thanks

Reply to  Mahmoud

Thank you for your comment.

If you would obtain a document allowing you to leave Turkey for up to 15 days from Immigration Office, you are allowed to go abroad for this period of time even if you would not receive your residence permit card by this time.

Anoshia zehra
Anoshia zehra
1 year ago

My name is anohia zehra I came here as a student in turkey I applied my residence permit but some problem is there in my kimlic my visa expired n I m living 4 month in turkey so I leave this country so what should I pay and how much fines

Reply to  Anoshia zehra

Thank you for your comment.

Amount of fine depends on your nationality. You can see the official amounts of fines in chart provided in the article. Please, be informed that the final decision on the amount will be taken by the customs at the airport and it can differ from the official amounts.

Rauf
Rauf

Hello
I’m a Pakistani citizen and I entered Turkey on 18th september 2019 with a 8 Days visa. I plan to stay until february 2020, so I applied for short term touristic residence permit. I have submitted my documents on 13th november 2019 and I am now waiting to obtain the residence permit (which can take up to 90 days) i want to back home emergency?

Reply to  Rauf

Thank you for your comment.

As you have already submitted application file, you are allowed to obtain a document from Directorate of Migration, which allows you to leave Turkey for up to 15 days and come back without obtaining new visa.

Jereme Sanders
Jereme Sanders
1 year ago

Hello, I have applied for the family resident visa as I am married to a Turkish citizen. The appointment they gave me is on February 2nd but my 90 days for my touristic visa will be finished in the middle of this month. Am I allowed to stay in the country as long as I have a copy of my appointment and my passport with me or do I need to leave the country and return for my appointment? I keep getting conflicting information so I don’t know what to believe.

Thanks so much!

Jereme Sanders

Reply to  Jereme Sanders

Thank you for your comment.

Because your application is lodged in the system, you can stay in Turkey legally until receiving the result of application.

Best Regards,

Saeid
Saeid

Hello
Your website is marvllous.

Congratullation! You are coherent.

I hope GREAT succesfull for you.

Best regards
Saeid Sari

Katinka Meier
Katinka Meier

Hello
I’m a Swiss citizen and I entered Turkey on 13th september 2019 with a 3 month visa. I plan to stay until february 2020, so I applied for short term touristic residence permit. I have submitted my documents on 28th november 2019 and I am now waiting to obtain the residence permit (which can take up to 90 days). I want to travel to Switzerland for Christmas holidays between 22nd December 2019 and 11th January 2020. The problem is, that I will probably not receive the residence permit before I leave and accordingly, I will not be able to enter Turkey after the holidays in January. As far as I understood, at the border a “conditional entry” can be issued, requiring to apply for residence permit within 10 days after the conditional entry. Is it guaranteed, that the conditional entry will be given, or is there a risk to be sent back to my country from the airport?
Best regards

Reply to  Katinka Meier

Thank you for your comment.

As you have already attended the appointment, you have a right to obtain a document from Immigration Office, which allows you to leave Turkey for up to days while waiting for result of your residence permit application.

Katinka Meier
Katinka Meier
Reply to  AndewPax

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.
How long is the travel document from Immagration Office valid? I will stay 3 weeks abroad from Turkey, I think this is longer than this travel document allows.
Best regards

KPhelps
KPhelps

Hello!
I’ve applied for residency and it’s processing, but has not been approved or denied yet. My family has bought me a ticket to visit them in Germany next week, but Migration office has told me I have to wait until the approval of my residency. Is there a way I could pay my “overstay” fine (it would be day 97, son just 7 days over) and come back and get a visa on arrival or submit for an E-Visa? I’ll only be in Germany for a week.
Thanks!

Reply to  KPhelps

Thank you for your comment.

After the appointment date, Immigration Office can provide you with the document allowing you to leave Turkey for up to 15 days and you should not face any problem while leaving or re-entering Turkey. Otherwise, you should wait until your residence permit card will be issued in order to avoid cancellation of your current application.

Kandi
Kandi
1 year ago

If overstayed my visa, it is possible to pay a fine, get a lawyer and apply for a residence permit.

Reply to  Kandi

Thank you for your comment.

If you have already overstayed your visa, you are not allowed to apply for residence permit. You must leave Turkey and re-enter the country with new visa to be eligible for application.

George C.
George C.

Hello,
I would like to ask what happens if I overstay the 90 days limit and at the border I am issued a fine, but do not have enough money to pay the fine.
Thank you for your reply.

G.C.

Reply to  George C.

Thank you for your comment.

If, for any reason, you refuse to pay a fine, you may be banned to re-enter Turkey for up to five years.

Lawrencem
Lawrencem
1 year ago

hello there, i entered turkey on the 1st of july 2019,on a 1 months business visa, from 09/06/19 till 09/07/19…. durabilition of stay is 7days….. i applied for residence permit immediately i came, but i was made to wait for almost 3 months after,got a message that my application was negative…and about then, i am not doing with stuffs am here for, now that december is almost approaching,i am thinking of returning back to my country nigeria, is there a way you can help me calculate how much i am to pay for my over stay will going back….means i have over stay from july through december… almost 6month.how much will my over stay fee after being calculated.. Moreso,i would like to know if i won’t be ban from apply for visa again once the overstay is being paid….

Reply to  Lawrencem

Thank you for your comment.

Official amount of fine for 6 months overstaying in Turkey for citizens of Nigeria is equal to 100 USD. However, be informed that the final decision on amount of fine will be taken by the customs at the airport and can differ from official amounts.

Best Regards,

Help!
Help!
1 year ago

I’m on Erasmus here in Turkey from Lithuania. I didn’t know I need a residence permit and I’ve overstayed 30 days already and be staying here for 60 more. Can I still apply for residence permit? And if not approximately how much will I have to pay when I’m leaving the country?

Reply to  Help!

Thank you for your comment.

As you have already overstayed your visa, it is not possible to apply for residence permit until you leave Turkey and re-enter the country. Officially the amount of fine for 3 months overstaying in Turkey for citizens of Lithuania is equal to 70 USD. However, be informed that the final decision on amount of fine will be taken by the customs at the airport and can differ from official amounts.

Best Regards,

christain
christain
1 year ago

if you have overstayed in turkey how much can you pay to go back to your country

Reply to  christain

Thank you for your comment.

Amount of fee depends on your nationality and on how many days you have overstayed. You can check official fee amounts in chart provided in the article, however, final decision on the fee would be taken by the customs at the airport and can differ from the official amounts.

Salongo Mukiibi David
Reply to  AndewPax

I great you in the mighty name of Jesus Christ ,,,if i have been here for more than 5 months and when I didn’t applied for the residence is there any other option to get it

Thank you for your comment.

You can only obtain residence permit as long as your visa is valid. If you have already overstayed your visa, you need to leave Turkey and pay a fine for overstaying. After you obtain new visa and re-enter Turkey, you will be eligible for residence permit application.

Worried
Worried

Hello,

Im on a student residence permit and i forgot to apply for extension. My residence permit expired on 11/sept/2019 and today is 24 sept 2019. Im already in Turkey and i dont know what to do next. How can i apply for extension now?

Reply to  Worried

Thank you for your comment.

As your residence permit has expired already, it is not possible to extend it. You need to leave Turkey and come back on a new visa in order to apply for new residence permit.

Cosmin
Cosmin
1 year ago

I have a question? In that table, what does “Minim Maxim” means?

Reply to  Cosmin

Thank you for your comment.

Minimum and maximum is defined for payment of the fees calculated daily. For example, if daily fee for your nationality is 1$ and you have overstayed in Turkey for 5 days, your fee should not be 5$, but 10$, which is minimum fee. In the same way, if you have overstayed for 28 days, you should not pay 28$ but maximum amount, which is 25$.

Scott Williamson
Scott Williamson
1 year ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me please.

I have a current visa, and have been in and out a few times, totalling about 50 days, the visa expires on 21st September. I need to fly into Istanbul on 17th September for 3 weeks, obviously this is a problem.

Can I buy a new visa, valid from 22nd September, to cover this? Or even a new visa valid from now, but I don’t believe you are allowed two visas at the same time?

thanks
Scott

Thank you for your comment.

If you are currently holder of a visa, which allows you to stay in Turkey for 90 days within 180 days and you have not stayed full 90 days by now, you are allowed to obtain new visa starting from the date following expiration of your current one.

Best Regards,

Albert
Albert
1 year ago

I was on vacation with my girlfriend in may and my passport was about to expire in 3 months. I had to pay the police around 800TL for 1 week. Later that week I got sick and overstayed for 2 days. I had to pay 210TL to the Vice Office at the airport. I want to travel to turkey again. Can igo to turkey? I have a new passport now.

Reply to  Albert

Thank you for your comment.

If you paid the fine and was not ban to re-enter Turkey, you are allowed to enter the country again.

Ninuszka
Ninuszka

Good morning,

I’m French and I stayed 111 days instead of 90 days in Turkey for an internship (the establishment who employed me said that they weren’t aware of the rules of visa so I applied for short-term residence. But the administration took so much time that I’ve not been able to get my ikamet card before I left Turkey to go back to France at the end of my internship. I had to paid a fine of 890TL at the airport.
I received an email when I was already back in France saying that my residence permit request has been evaluated positively. But a few days after, it was written on the website that I had a problem at phase of card printing… it’s been 2 weeks and nothing changed.
Now, I want to go back to Turkey because I would like to find a job there (my boyfriend lives there).
I’ve heard about ban on websites, but there is no stamp on my passeport noticing that I am banned or anything, I didn’t get any paper…
So what can I do to go back to Turkey ?
I thank you by advance for your answer,

Best regards,

Nina

Reply to  Ninuszka

Thank you for your comment.

If you paid the fine while leaving Turkey and did not receive a notice about entry ban being imposed, you are allowed to re-enter the country. If you enter Turkey before 90 days required to obtain new visa passes, you would make a conditional entrance and you would be obliged to apply for residence permit within 10 days upon your arrival. However, if you receive an email stating approval of your residence permit application, you should check with Immigration Office if the card has been issued and is still valid before you lodge a new application.

Zoe
Zoe
2 years ago

I have received a 5 year ban in turkey due to not being able to pay my fine with my credit card. Whilst I am not wanting to return to turkey any time soon, I do want to still pay my fine and not have an ban on my passport anymore. Can the fine be paid to my nearest turkish embassy and the ban be lifted from my passport?

Reply to  Zoe

Thank you for your comment.

Fine can be only paid while leaving Turkey, it is not possible to cancel a ban by making payment in embassy.

Seemab

Hello,
We (me with my husband) are here in Turkey for visit . Our stay was just 10 days but we want to stay more so we applied for TRP . It’s about a month now but we didn’t get any response of that application.i want to know how much time will it take because now we want to leave but as we all know that we cannot exit on that application slip.please guide what should we do now?

Reply to  Seemab

Thank you for your comment.

Please, be informed that residence permit evaluation procedures take up to 90 days. In order to check status of your application, you can call 157.

Best Regards,

Muhammad Faisal Iqbal
Muhammad Faisal Iqbal
2 years ago

I will be visiting Turkey on September 27 through October 12. I have valid e-visa starting September 27 and valid for 6 months. My family (Spouse and three kids ) got the visa which is valid from July 12 to October 10. I have confirmed return air tickets for October 12. So it seems, i have to over stay for two days. What will be the charges and what could be the consequences for me and my family due to this two day over stay means What it effects mine and my family’s travel history ? and would there be issues in getting visa of other countries ?

Thank you for your comment.

Amount of penalty depends on your nationality and can be calculated as double of amounts provided in the chart above. For only two days of overstaying, if required penalty will be paid, there would be no further consequences.

Best Regards,

David
David

I have overstayed for 10 months, how much penalty am to pay pls

Reply to  David

Best Regards,

Winda
2 years ago

Now im in Turkey and overstay for 15 days. How much does fine cost approximately?, I will leave from airport to another country. I like Turkey “,, im from Indonesia. Please help.

Reply to  Winda

Thank you for your comment.

As by official amounts, your fine should not be higher than 30 USD. However, be informed that the final decision on the fine will be taken by the customs at the airport and it can differ from official amounts.

scroll to top