The consequences of overstaying in Turkey

Update : 03.09.2015 Overstaying in Turkey might occur in three possible ways; A foreign national, might overstay a visa; or might breach the 90 in 180 days rule during his/her stay in Turkey, or might continue to stay in Turkey without renewing his/her residence permit after its expiry period.

90 in any 180 Days Rule In compliance with the Decision of the Council of Ministers dated 10.10.2011, No: 2011/2306, starting from 01 February 2012, total duration of stay of foreigners who visit Turkey as tourists cannot exceed 90 days in any 180 days period. Foreigners, who are intending to stay in Turkey longer than mentioned period (90 days in 180 days period), are required to apply for residence permit.

An overstayer, in all mentioned circumstances, will be subject to administrative fine and as well as might be barred to re-enter Turkey lawfully for a fixed term.

ADMINISTRATIVE FINES

In case of overstaying tourist visa (or breaching 90/180 days rule)  or exceeding validity period of residence permit, foreigners will be subject to administrative fines.   According to Law on Duties no: 492 section 6, failing to apply for residence permit or failing to renew the existing one, does not prevent collection of the fees for overstayed period. Administrative fine may vary according to the nationality of the foreigner. This fee is calculated on the basis of double amount of existing permit fee charges. In addition to the permit fees, if applicable, administrative fine may include residence permit card fee  and single entry visa fee.  (For details permit fees page.)

LIST A LIST B LIST C LIST D LIST E

K. Marino

DAILY FEES 1  $ 0.5 $ 0.4 $ 0.3 $ 0.2 $ 13,30 TL
MINIMUM  MAXIMUM 10-25 $ 5-14 $ 4-9 $ 3-7 $ 2-5 $ 24,80-126,70 TL
FIRST MONTH 25 $ 14 $ 9 $ 7 $ 5 $ 126,70 TL
REMAINING MONTHS 5 $ 3.5 $ 2.5 $ 1.5 $ 0.5 $ 84,20TL

RE – ENTRY BAN FOR OVERSTAYING IN TURKEY

An entry ban is imposed to the foreign nationals who are staying in Turkey illegally when they don’t have valid visa or a valid residence permit.

In case of an overstay of less than 10 days, no entry ban will be imposed.  Moreover “entry ban order will not be issued against the foreigners who exceed the duration of visa, visa exemption or residence permit for more than ten days and arrive at the border gates to exit before a removal decision is taken against them. However, the foreigners who violate the mentioned durations of visa, visa exemption, work permit or residence permit will pay a fine.” (For more information you may consult to the  Ministry of Interior Directorate General  of Migraion Management –Frequently Asked Questions about Foreigners.)

The Length of ban is approximately corresponds to the length of overstayed period.  Notification about the entry ban period and the administrative fine is issued at the border gates.  In case of failing to pay imposed administrative fine, a foreign national might be barred to enter Turkey for five years period.

Maximum duration of an entry ban to Turkey is five years. “The entry ban to Turkey for foreigners whose visa or residence permit has expired and who has applied to the governorates to exit from Turkey before their situation is established by the competent authorities upon which a removal decision has been taken, shall not exceed one year.” (Art.9/4  Law no 6458 on Foreigners and International Protection)

Entry ban might be lifted in case the overstayed person applies to the Turkish missions abroad for the relevant type of visa. Applications are forwarded to the Turkish Ministry of Interior for approval and the visa can be issued upon the affirmative instructions of the Ministry.

Please consider that the website you have visited contains general information only, not legal advice. Although Expatuci Relocation has taken great care in compiling the content of Expat Guide publication and Expat Guide Turkey website,we cannot guarantee that all information is accurate and complete.

RELATED LEGISLATION

• For Entry Ban, you may consult to Articles 9 and 10, for new deportation rules you may consult to the second part (section 4) of the Law no.6458.
  • For the interpretation of the Law no.6458,you may consult to the official page of Directorate General of the Migration Management. Frequently Asked Questions about Foreigner

Notify of
guest
931 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Tom
Tom
5 years ago

I am leavening turkey next week I will have overstayed my tourists visa by 27 days I tried to apply for a resident permit but could get all of my paper work together in time I think that the laws might have changed on what penalty I will have to pay at the airport I’m just trying to figure out how much cash to bring and how much time to allow for at the airport does anyone know thanks

ABB
ABB

Hi

I have a small problem that I am finding hard to get my head around and was wondering if could ask some advice.

I have an e-vise that I purchased on 2 Dec 2015 that leasts until 29 May 2016. I believed that I could stay in the country for 90days. However for coming back and forth into Turkey over about 3 months, I arrived on the 4 February and when I tried to leave on 6 March (31 days) I got stopped at customs and told that I had violated my visa by 1 day and had to pay a fine. I was so shaken up by being stopped I didn’t even think about my visa being supposedly valid for 90 days. Or is that not true? do you have to leave the country every 30 days even with a 90 day visa??

So the plot thickens. I then left to the UK for a week and returned to Turkey on the 14 March (7 days later). I again got stopped at passport control on my way into Turkey and the police threatened to send me back to the UK. I told them I had a flight booked to leave Turkey (5 days later) and they gave me a 10 day resident permit saying that I had to apply for a resident permit in the next 10 days otherwise I would be banned from entry Turkey again.
Is this true or do I only need to stay out of Turkey for 3 months?

I am very confused about whether I even violated my visa in the first place or whether it did not come up on their system about my previous arrival date AND if it is even necessary to apply for a resident permit as I do not need to be in Turkey for the next 3 months?

Claudine
Claudine
5 years ago

I will be 6 months overstay on march 23. I will exit on 22 and take an appointment to get new working visa will there be no problem for me to get a new working visa. I will work with the same employer we just forgotten the renuewal date of my working permit and i cant renue it anymore. What is the eaning of re entry ban? Is it when u pay the pine u can have the re entry?

Ådär Komdenja
Ådär Komdenja
5 years ago

Turkey shown the country doesn’t care for foreigners, although tourism is a huge industry in the country. The former long stay ‘Blue book’ no longer available, maximum long stay is maximum one year, I’m a 90 days cathegory, when I decided stay in Turkey, on average, 6-9 months yearly, you could apply for five YEARS stay! Plus, even worse, if you get the maximim one year stay, you must be in Turkey, minimum 9 months out of twelve! Like a hostage or prisoner, if not complying, the state can withdraw your 1 year visa permit, no pay-back, and you told to leave the country, your permission canceled!

I decided to leave this country permanently, not only they start being not-welcome to foreigners, the security is hazardous, prices rises, and the islamic religion is affecting the society more and more. Never Turkey for me again, I settled in far Asia country, where they know how to treat their guests very well.

Distraught Foreigner
Distraught Foreigner

Hello everyone.
I’ve got a little problem in hand and I would really appreciate some advice.

My wife and I got our one-year tourist residence permits in September 2014. Later in February, we had to travel to Yemen for a month or two but ended up staying for 121 days because the the airport was bombarded and there was no way in or out till later in June when we finally made it back to Turkey. September came and we sent our papers to renew the residence permits. Then a couple of weeks ago, they called us from the ‘yabancılar şubesi’ saying that there was a problem. It turned out that staying out of Turkey was only allowed for 120 days and that I had overstayed one day more than I should have. And because of that, they asked me to leave and re-enter the country and apply for a new residence permit.

But here’s the problem with that:
1. Before I traveled out of Turkey in February, I paid the ‘yabancılar şubesi’ a visit to ask them exactly how long I was allowed to stay out and they said six months–not four.
2. Returning to Yemen is not an option given how there’s a war going on there. If we go there, we might never be able to get out again–this is provided that I actually find an airline insane enough to take us to Yemen.
3. Almost all the other countries that I might afford to go to require visas that take way too much time and money to process. Not to mention the ticket money.
4. If we somehow managed to leave Turkey, we would have to pay a fine for overstaying. Our residence permit expired in September, and this in turn means that a fine is due for October, November, and December. And possibly even January. And since a fine has to be paid, we may not be allowed into the country for the same amount of time that we overstayed. That means, wherever we go, we need a visa to that country, tickets to go there, cash to stay alive for at least 3.5 months, and a ticket to return to Turkey–supposing that the Turks grant the visa hassle-free.
5. We are neither rich or free enough to do all these things.

There are a few more reasons that I can write as well, but I guess I’ve made my point.
So please, can someone adivse what to do next?

~Distraught Foreigner

cedric
cedric
5 years ago

go to northern cyprus for 1 day or 2. They accept almost any nationalities visa-free

Another Foreigner
Another Foreigner

Slam,
I have got to the same problem, can you explain what did you do and what happened next? How did you manage to exit and come back?

MM
MM
5 years ago

Hello! I need your help, please, let me know if you’ve heard of situation like mine.
I’m from Poland and I overstayed my IKAMET validity (9 days only), I used to work legally with worker’s visa and residence permit.

Now I’m planning to go to Turkey as a tourist, for Polish there is still a must to have a touristic visa, and there are two options of buying it: e-visa or on-arrival at the airport. I wanted to issue e-visa and I had a problem while doing that so i called embassy and i got the information that I got a ban for entering Turkey (noone informed me while leaving country), and the only possibility for me of going there is applying for special visa (more than 4 weeks waiting). My friends who used to work with me, left Turkey at the same day, with the same validity dates of documents and they didnt have any problems with issueing e-visa and reentering Turkey. They just paid some fine at the airport police while arriving…

My question is if it would be possible to buy on-arrival visa and enter Turkey. I’m more than sure that they will stop me at the airport but i still have hope that it will be possible to explain this situation at the airport police… Finally 9 days is not a crime. But i’m afraid as well that noone is going to talk with me because I got this ban. 🙁

Please, helppp!

Me
Me

Hello,

I’m a Masters student from Morocco living in Turkey and my student residence permit expired 15 days ago. I’m planning to start the renewing procedure tomorow as early as possible. How deeply in trouble am I ? will I simply pay a fine or do I have to leave and come back or something ? please give me an answer back.

Thank you so much !

Meg
Meg
5 years ago

My Ikamet expires Dec 10. I am leaving Turkey Dec 16 for the US. How soon can I obtain a tourist visa to return to Turkey after my departure? Thanks!

kWuqOgflhZyDb
Reply to  Meg

Thank you very much for your email.
You can find up-to-date information and answers on the questions regarding the immigration formalities and procedures in Turkey in our Practical Guide. The e-book can be purchased via https://www.expatguideturkey.com/ebook/. If you don’t find answers to your questıons in our e-book, please contact us.
Best regards,
Expat Guide Turkey

Danielle
Danielle
5 years ago

I have overstayed my residency 2 months. Will I get a re entry ban at airport as I leave next week to England

kWuqOgflhZyDb
Reply to  Danielle

Thank you very much for your email.
Best regards,
Expat Guide Turkey

pascal
pascal
5 years ago

I have overstayed my resident permit for 1 month. i had problems when trying to renew it. can i still renew it. i do not want to leave turkey now. thanks

Ishrak
Ishrak
5 years ago

My visa will be expired on the 21st of October but I have already applied for residence permit and I have an appointment on the 13th of Novembre. Am I supposed to pay for the days that I will stay after my visa will be expired? Will there be any probelm to get a residence permit as I am only a tourist in Turkey and not seeking business or education?
Can you please help me and reply to my questions.
Thanks in advance

kWuqOgflhZyDb
Reply to  Ishrak

Thank you very much for your email.
Best regards,
Expat Guide Turkey.

Ac
Ac
5 years ago

Do children fall under the rule? 3yo / 1yo. Children are Canadian, their mother is Turkish.

Gamal
Gamal

Hey,

After my 90 days expired I made an appointment for Residence Visa which gave me an extra 3 months in Turkey until my appointment. When I went to yabancılar şube müdürlüğü in Fatih they told me I had applied with the old system and was told to apply again using the new system. I did that and now I have an extra 3 months here until my appointment in November. I was wondering can I leave the country? I had the money to show for the first appointment however the second appointment I ran out of cash and I wanna go home. When I go to the airport will there be a problem?

Also when I pay the fine will they put some weird stamp on my passport that shows I overstayed? This may cause some problems when I want to apply for visas in the future.

kWuqOgflhZyDb
Reply to  Gamal

Hello Mr. Gamal,

Thank you very much for your message. Foreigner applicants can legally reside in Turkey with application form until the appointment date. However having an appointment does not grant any right to enter into or exit from the Turkey. Once the application is submitted on the appontment date and after having signed and stamped Residence Permit Application Document, foreigners might exit from and re-enter into Turkey within 15 days.
If you have any other questions, please send us an email: info@expatguideturkey.com

Best regards,
Expat Guide Turkey

Angie
Angie

Hi,
I missed my appointment for renewal of my residence permit. This week I am going back home. I am overstaying for already 25 days now. I am planning to pay the penalty and wish to comeback again anytime soon. I may ask if they will impose a ban for my re entry or I can comeback anytime?

Thanks for the heads up.

kWuqOgflhZyDb
Reply to  Angie

Hello Angie,
Thank you very much for your message. In order to leave the country without getting re-entry ban, you should go through some procedures. For further information, you can contact us by phone 444 7 284 or email: info@expatguideturkey.com

Best regards,
Expat Guide Turkey

lino
lino
5 years ago

I over stayed for 1 and half years in Turkey,they charged me for 666TL and i paid it..now i am my country i have spent 2 months in my country already and i want to go back to Turkey in few days time because i was approved of a cable visa,will i have any problem while entering??Please i need help

kWuqOgflhZyDb
Reply to  lino

You have already paid your overstaying fine that is why there won’t be any problems while entering Turkey. You should remember to apply for residence permit within 10 days of your arrival in Turkey

Ahmad
Ahmad
Reply to  lino

Hey, which country are you from? I’m from Egypt and i overstayed my visa for 3 years. If your country from the same category as me i might be able to estimate my overstay fine. And if anybody here can help me get an estimate of how much it will be, i would highly appreciate it.

This is my email.

didanybodysee@mail.com

AMir
AMir
Reply to  lino

What is your nationality?

Ahmad
Ahmad
Reply to  AMir

I’m an Egyptian.

Ana
Ana
5 years ago

I overstayed 3 days, was asked to pay over 100TL and I couldn’t pay it and they banned me for 5 years…

Is this normal?!

Bob
Bob
Reply to  Ana

Wait so basically you have an option if you should pay or not. If u do not pay u may still leave but like in ur case banned for 5 years….did i get it right?

Mollie
Mollie
Reply to  Bob

No immigration can stop you going back to your own country. It’s against human rights. If you don’t want to/can’t effort to pay the fine then all they can do is put a ban on your re-entrance. This can be up to 5 years. The ban period is mostly depends on the officer who is dealing with you at the time. Explaining your situation and being polite helps.

Mollie
Mollie
Reply to  Ana

No! That is very harsh, unless they had some other reasons or you just bumped into a officer who is going trough midlife crisis.

lala
lala

hello
i need help i overstay here and i want to know if i can make permits visa or i have to back to my country im from morocco

Juditu
Juditu
6 years ago

Hi, I am planning to overstay my tourist visa for 20 days. My country is listed in group A. Can someone tell me what to expect regarding to fines to pay during departure?
Thanks!

Omar
Omar
Reply to  Juditu

So, how did you stay longer than your visa date? And if so, how many days and how much did they charge u?

Nicole
Nicole
6 years ago

Hi all im 3 months overstay in Turkey and after one month wanna go back to my country so after one month will be totally four months im overstay in Turkey I want to know how much and where I have to pay the penalty CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS PLS im a first time here don’t know anything Thanks an advance

Mollie
Mollie
Reply to  Nicole

Hi Nicol,

Since the new rules applied in May this year, foreigners has to pay their fine on their departure rather then arrival. If not paid then you will receive an re-entry ban. To find out about the amount of fine needs to be paid, you can call 157. Make sure you have your passport/resident permit is with you. They will ask questions about the last entry etc.. to calculate the exact amount of days you have over stayed.

All the best,
Mollie

Derr
Derr

Hello,

I am currently overstaying in Turkey and I have 2 questions:

The total amount of my stay here in Turkey on the day I will exit the country will be 183 days. This includes the legally 90 days provided. Am I overstaying for the total days minus 90 days or does it count as an 183 days overstay? (in other words, when you overstay, do they count the entire period spent within the country as overstay or only the remaining days beyond the visa limit?)

My most important question is about the actual fine to be paid. Do you pay it at the officer’s desk when he will be stamping your passport or do you go to a different office for that? Is it possible to pay in EURO or USD instead of TL? I am asking to make sure that I will have enough time to pay the fine and make it to my flight on time.

Thank you in advance for responses.

Derr

Arthur
Arthur
6 years ago

Hey! A friend from Italy overstayed and the first day costed him 400TL. Then it increases but very slowly (450TL for 8 days, and about 530TL for one month). But it depends maybe on how lucky you are and who is the person that does the check-out at the border.

He checked on official websites and said it is not very clear…
Cheers!

sameer
sameer
6 years ago

I overstayed 7 month how much I I pay fine and I am.from Pakistan and after pay fine i get deported or get ban to enter turkey ..thanks in advance

kC
kC
6 years ago

i came with business visa and applied for resident permite. after paying for insurance, get my tax ,then i was denied because i booked on anksary instead of Ankara. i overstay for 5 months plus . on the departure i payed 257Tl as fine. how long will i stay to apply another visa

lauren
lauren
6 years ago

Hi,I came to turkey oct 13 and was 7months pregnant at the time I planed to stay a while and return before my visa ended to have my baby,I left the uk due to domestic voilence and thearts from my chilrens father and a ticket to turkey was cheap at the time,I ended up staying in turkey and having my baby it was a home birth,then due to money situation and a new born the time flew by now its dec 14 I’m wondering what the prodcedure is for me and my two children to return one has no passport or papers,and the amount of money I wil have to pay and I’m hearing now in the uk if u stay in turkey for a long time u get questioned when u land in uk if u are involved in terrorism,is this true please any replys welcome thank you

sanna
sanna
6 years ago

Am in violation of residence in Turkey 10/10/2013 and I want to know if I put in exclusion period for how much months ! Also Am ready to pay the fine…

I did not know the topic of 180 days additions calculated after the end of statutory period just now through your site web ..

In waiting your answer accept Sir/Mme my big thanks.

Abayomi
Abayomi

Good day

Please i Overstayed for 2years And i want to know if i can pay the fine, then go to my home country to apply for another Visa Immediately Without Any ban to stay in my country ?

jennifer baran
jennifer baran
6 years ago

I left turkey last november and had unknowingly overstayed by 5 days due to 2 different trips and not reakuse the 90 days in 180 rule. I recieved a fine which I couldnt pay at the time so I git a t year ban. How can I go back now? If I pay the fine when I arrive will that be the end of it? Thanks 🙂

jennifer baran
jennifer baran
Reply to  jennifer baran

Sorry for typos! I got a 5 year ban as I did not realise tge visa rule.

becky
becky
6 years ago

My husband turkish I overstayed my visa for 5 years I had a £1500 visa fine however I payed it and got a six month visa from turkish embassy London. But it expired this year in july. So now im wondering if im able to travel on a E visa online?

Student
Student
6 years ago

Im making Erasmus Staj in Turkey. Lenght is 3 months. I didnt make residence permit so how many liras i will pay exiting country? My country i
in list A.

L&M
L&M
7 years ago

I overstayed by 10 months and received a 257tl fine and a 6 month ban. Worked out cheaper than paying for residency again!!

gemma
gemma
7 years ago
Reply to  L&M

I overstayed by eleven months, I was not fined on departure and this was seven years ago I have been accepted online for an evisa, will they fine me on entering

myla
myla
Reply to  gemma

hi

I has been overstayed in istanbul for 9 months. I want to get married with turkish soon. Can somebody tell me how it can be done without leaving turkey.

1 2 3 15