The name of Fellah balls, which is identified with the Adana region, is of Arabic origin and means ‘farmer’. Fellah balls prepared with fine bulgur are quite high in terms of carbohydrates and potassium. When consumed in moderation, it meets the amount of energy the body needs. It is commonly known as garlic meatballs in some regions, especially in the Mediterranean and Central Anatolia.
Materials of Fellah Balls;
- 2 cups fine bulgur
- 3 cups of hot water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of flour
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
For the Sauce:
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chili paste
- 2 teaspoons of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Preparation of Fellah Balls;
- Put the fine bulgur in a deep bowl. Add hot water to it.
- Cover it with cling film and let it rest to absorb the water.
- After resting, add eggs and salt and add flour little by little and knead.
- Wet your hands slightly. Take small pieces of the dough you prepared. Shape it by rolling it.
- Shape the middle with your finger.
- Mix in a lightly floured bowl.
- Add hot water to a deep pot.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt in it. Throw the meatballs you prepared into the water and boil them.
For the Sauce:
- Take olive oil in a pan.
- Add the garlic.
- Then add the grated tomatoes. Mix.
- Add paprika paste, salt and pepper to get consistency. Then take it off the stove.
- Drain the boiled meatballs and put them in a bowl.
- Pour the prepared sauce on top, mix and serve.
You need to adjust the consistency of the mortar well so that the Fellah balls do not scatter. The consistency of the mortar should be neither hard nor sticky. The dough for Fellah balls should be kneaded very well. If your hands get too doughy while preparing the balls, wash your hands occasionally or you will have difficulties. In order for the Fellah balls not to fall apart while cooking, we recommend that you do not boil it too much and stir it constantly.
As Expat Guide Turkey, we will publish fast, practical and delicious Turkish recipes to our visitors in the Food & Beverage category. Stay tuned.
You may interested : A Legendary Taste : Curtain Pilaf – Discover Turkish FoodTaste