Although there is no definite recipe, regional and cultural differences create diversity in making Asure. Wheat, rice, dry beans, chickpeas, sugar and water are used as the main material. It varies from region to region and even from house to house. Asure takes many different forms, from its presentation to the way it is served hot or cold. In addition to all these, the most important feature of Asure is that Muslims make this dessert in Muharram and distribute it to all neighbors. A great tool for unity and sharing, but also a delicious dessert.
Materials of Asure;
- Buckwheat (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons of rice
- Boiled chickpeas (2 cups)
- Boiled beans (2 cups)
- Dried apricots (150 grams)
- Dried figs (150 grams)
- Raisins (150 grams)
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- 4 liters of hot water (to add as the water decreases)
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
- 1.5 cups of hot milk
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
Preparation of Asure;
- First, let’s boil the chickpeas and beans separately.
- Wash the wheat, put it in the pot, add boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Let’s filter the yellow water that comes out. Let’s do the same process one more time and strain the water.
- Then I add 2 liters of water and boil the wheat for 50 minutes. (If you wish, you can boil it twice in the evening, strain the water and leave it in hot water until the morning. If you soak it overnight, it will be enough to boil it for 15 minutes.)
- Finely chop the dried apricots and dried figs.
- Then, let’s take these chopped fruits and raisins in a large bowl, add hot water and let them wait.
- Remember to add hot water as needed. Add a little more hot water to our wheat whose water is decreasing.
- Let’s add washed rice, boiled chickpeas, boiled beans, finely chopped apricots, figs and raisins to the wheat we boiled for about 50 minutes and boil for 15 minutes.
- Let’s put the cloves in a small coffee pot and add water to it and boil it for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, let’s add hot water again on our wheat whose water has decreased.
- Finally, add clove juice, hazelnuts, hot milk, sugar, optional salt, pepper, mix and boil for about 15-20 minutes.
- Let’s divide the Asure we prepared into glass bowls one by one. With these measurements, we got 15 bowls of Asure.
- When the Asure bowls start to cool, you can decorate them with hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios, currants, raisins and pomegranate seeds. Bon Appetit.
Remember that Asure is really easy to do. We have prepared a detailed recipe just for you to cook your ingredients well. You can also decorate Asure with pomegranate seeds, it’s entirely up to your taste. Don’t forget to serve your neighbors hot after cooking, because the most important feature of Asure is sharing…
As Expat Guide Turkey, we will publish fast, practical and delicious Turkish recipes to our visitors in the Food & Beverage category. Stay tuned.
If you like delicious dessert recipes of Turkish cuisine, this recipe may interest you; The Most Beautiful of Milky Desserts; Rice Pudding (Sutlac) – Discover Turkish Desserts