Saudi Arabia buys Baykar’s Bayraktar Akıncı TİHA systems. The agreement was described as the largest defense and aerospace export agreement in the history of the Republic of Turkey.
President Tayyip Erdoğan, with his delegation, started the Gulf Tour the other day. Within the scope of this multi-purpose tour, Turkey aims to repair its relations with the countries of the region, while at the same time aiming to make various cooperations. In this context, Saudi Arabia, the first country visited by the delegation, announced that Baykar would purchase Bayraktar Akıncı TİHA systems as part of the negotiations.
The biggest deal in Turkish history
In the statement made by Baykar CEO Haluk Bayraktar, it was announced that a Bayraktar Akıncı TİHA export and cooperation agreement was signed with the Ministry of Defense of Saudi Arabia. It was underlined that the contract was the largest defense and aerospace export agreement in the history of the Republic of Turkey. However, the details of the contract have not been disclosed yet.
In a tweet, Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman said that Saudi Arabia will purchase the drones “to increase the readiness of the kingdom’s armed forces and strengthen their defense and production capabilities”. In the statement made by Baykar, it was stated that Bayraktar Akıncı will serve in the inventory of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Air and Naval Forces. Within the scope of the agreement, Baykar will also provide training, technical support and logistics services. The cooperation agreement between Baykar and the Ministry of Defense of Saudi Arabia was signed by Baykar General Manager Haluk Bayraktar and Saudi Arabian Deputy Minister of Defense Halid Bin Hüseyin El Bayari. Thus, the number of countries that purchased Akıncı TİHA became 6.
In addition to the Akıncı TİHA export and cooperation agreement, Turkey and Saudi Arabia also signed various memorandums of understanding in different sectors including energy, real estate and direct investments.
Bayraktar Akıncı TİHA features
- Maximum Takeoff Weight: 6,000 kg
- Airborne: 24 hours
- Wingspan: 20 meters
- Height: 4.1 meters
- Length: 12.2 meters
- Travel – Maximum Speed: 150 – 195 Knots
- Communication Range: LOS & BLOS
- Operational – Maximum Altitude: 30,000 feet to 40,000 feet
- Payload Capacity: 1.500 kg
- Payload – ISR: Simultaneous EO/IR/LD, Multi-Purpose AESA Radar & SIGINT
- Payload – Munitions: Laser Guided Smart Munitions, Missiles & Long Munitions
- Propulsion Type: 2 x 750 HP or 2 x 450 HP Turboprop Engine
- Takeoff and Landing: Runway (Automatic)
- Fully Automatic Navigation and Route Tracking Feature
- Precise Auto Takeoff and Landing with Built-in Sensor Fusion
- Fully Automatic Taxi and Parking Feature
- Semi-Autonomous Flight Modes Support
- Fault Tolerant and 3 Redundant Sensor Fusion Application
- Cross Redundant YKI System
- Unique Redundant Servo Actuator Units
- Unique Redundant Lithium-Based Battery Units