In What Circumstances is the Residence Permit in Turkey Cancelled
For foreigners who will stay in Turkey, there are 6 different types of residence permits: short-term residence permit, family residence permit, student residence permit, long-term residence permit, humanitarian residence permit and residence permit for victims of human trafficking. You can find out what you need to know about the situations in which the said residence permits are cancelled, in the continuation of this article.
In Which Situations Can a Short-Term Residence Permit Be Canceled?
Coming to Turkey for the purpose of scientific research, having real estate in Turkey, establishing a commercial connection or business, participating in in-service training programs, coming for education or similar purposes within the framework of agreements or student exchange programs to which the Republic of Turkey is a party, staying for tourism purposes, and Short-term residence permit is given to foreigners who need to stay in Turkey, depending on the request or decision of judicial or administrative authorities. A short-term residence permit is revoked in the following cases:
- If one or more of the conditions sought for a short-term residence permit are not fulfilled or disappeared,
- It is determined that the residence permit has been used for other than the purpose of issue,
- Having a valid deportation or entry ban decision about him,
- Violation in terms of duration of stay abroad
In Which Situations Is The Family Residence Permit Canceled?
Turkish citizens or foreigners holding one of the residence permits; family residence permit is given to the foreign spouse, the minor foreign child of himself or his spouse and the dependent foreign child of himself or his spouse Family residence permit is revoked in the following cases:
- Failure to fulfill or disappear the conditions sought for family residence permit,
- It is determined that the family residence permit is used for purposes other than its issuance,
- Having a valid deportation or entry ban decision
In Which Situations Is The Student Residence Permit Canceled?
A student residence permit is given to foreigners who will study at a higher education institution in Turkey with an associate degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s or doctorate. Student residence permit is canceled in the following cases:
- Failure to meet or disappear the conditions required for issuing a student residence permit,
- The emergence of evidence that he cannot continue his education,
- Determining that the student residence permit is used for purposes other than its issuance,
- Having a valid deportation decision or an entry ban to Turkey
In Which Situations Can a Long-Term Residence Permit Be Canceled?
An indefinite long-term residence permit is granted by the governorships, with the approval of the Ministry, to foreigners who have stayed in Turkey for at least eight years without interruption or who meet the conditions determined by the Migration Policy Board. A long-term residence permit is revoked in the following cases:
- The foreigner poses a serious threat to public order or public security,
- Long-term residence permit is revoked in cases where he/she stays outside of Turkey for more than one year without interruption for reasons other than health, education and compulsory public service in his/her country.
In Which Situations Is The Humanitarian Residence Permit Canceled?
The humanitarian residence permit is issued by the governorships in case of the existence of the conditions specified in Article 46 of the Law No. 6458. The cases in which this permission can be granted are generally based on the existence of extraordinary conditions. The humanitarian residence permit is revoked in the following cases:
- The humanitarian residence permit is canceled and cannot be extended by the governorships, provided that the Ministry’s approval is obtained, when the conditions that make it mandatory to grant the permit no longer exist.
In Which Circumstances Is the Residence Permit for Victims of Human Trafficking Cancelled?
The residence permit for victims of human trafficking is a thirty-day residence permit granted by the governorates to foreigners who are or are strongly suspected to be victims of human trafficking, in accordance with Article 48 of Law No. This residence permit does not seek the conditions for granting other residence permits. The residence permit, which is given to allow time for recovery and reflection, can be extended for a maximum of six months due to the victim’s safety, health or special situation, but the duration of the permit cannot exceed three years in total. The residence permit for victims of human trafficking is canceled in the following cases:
- Determining that the foreigner has reconnected with the perpetrators of the crime on his own initiative,
- Failure to comply with the obligations,
- In cases where it is understood that the foreigner is not a victim, the residence permit for victims of human trafficking is cancelled.
However, if it is determined that the above-mentioned situations are done against her will due to reasons such as coercion, intimidation, violence, and threat, the residence permit is not canceled.