What are Europe’s Top 10 Airports in 2021?
A new report was shared by Airports Council International (ACI) Europe, which includes the 10 busiest airports of the European continent in 2021.
According to the report, which includes three airports from Turkey, Istanbul Airport, which started to serve in 2018 with 36 million 988 thousand passenger traffic, took the first place. In addition, Istanbul Airport, which was built with great investments and is one of the largest airports in the world, has managed to become the busiest airport in the European continent.
Sabiha Gökçen, another airport in Turkey that reached the sixth place by reaching 24 million 991 thousand passengers, was the ninth airport with 21 million 333 thousand passengers.
In the report, it is stated that air traffic decreased by 59 percent in 2020 due to the COVID-19 epidemic, while this rate increased by 37 percent as of 2021. However, most of the passengers preferred the airports of Russia and Turkey, while Sheremetyevo International Airport in Moscow took the second place with 30 million 943 thousand 456 passengers.
Following the ranking, Charles De Gaulle Airport in France ranks third with 26 million 201 thousand 698 passengers. We can say that Turkey’s three airports in the list, which reached a total of 83 million passenger traffic in 2021, attracted a lot of attention.
Here Are the 10 Busiest Airports in Europe and Their Passenger Numbers
- Istanbul Airport (Ist) – 36,988,563 Passengers
- Moscow Sheremetyevo International Airport (Svo) – 30,943,456 Passengers
- Paris Charkes De Gaulle Airport (Cdg) – 26,201,698 Passengers
- Amsterdam Schipol Airport (Ams) – 25,492,633 Passengers
- Moscow Domodedovo Airport (Dme) – 25,065,087 Passengers
- Sabiha Gökçen Airport (Saw) – 24,991,916 Passengers
- Frankfurt Airport (Fra) – 24,812,849 Passengers
- Madrid Barajas International Airport (Mad) – 24,119,214 Passengers
- Antalya Airport (Ayt) – 21,333,278 Passengers
- London Heathrow Airport (Lhr) – 19,395,354 Passengers