Foreigners can establish a business in Turkey, as well as rent a workplace, office or warehouse to continue their business. It is a legal obligation for foreign tenants who want to rent a workplace or office to be used in commercial activities to obtain a potential tax number. If the foreign tenant is a natural person, he or she must also fulfill the “stoppage tax” obligation and pay this tax on time. Although there is no difference in procedure from renting a house, renting an office or workplace has different tax responsibilities. In this article, we will briefly mention some details that should be known about this issue.
What is the Potential Tax Number? How to Get it?
Today, due to the Covid-19 measures, the standard tax number application processes applied to the citizens of the Republic of Turkey who want to become taxpayers under normal conditions are only carried out in the digital environment for foreign nationals living in Turkey. You can find all the details about obtaining a tax number in this article. You can apply for a potential tax number by following the steps below:
- Visit https://ivd.gib.gov.tr/.
- Click on the “Potential Tax Identification Number for Foreigners” tab.
- Upload your personal information and passport of the applicant foreigner to the system. If you do not have a copy of your passport in Latin letters, you must also provide a certified translation by a sworn translator.
- You must upload the documents in accordance with the requested format. The size of your documents should not exceed 1 MB.
- After filling in all the required information and uploading the documents, select “Complete the application”.
Things to Consider for Rental Contract
Contract conditions in standard residential rental contracts are also valid when renting workplaces. Accordingly, the full address of the workplace subject to the contract, its characteristics, the clear identity information and addresses of the lessor parties, the status of the workplace and what it will be used for, the condition, numbers and qualities of the current fixtures, if any, and the validity period of the contract must be clearly stated in the contract. In addition, monthly and annual rental fees should be clearly written in the contract. If you have questions about the contract or if you do not know enough Turkish to understand what is written in the contract, you can request support from a legal consultant for your contract.
If you have questions about renting a workplace or office by foreigners in Turkey, you can send them to us in the comments section.