The building served as the Military Medical School from 1903 until 1908 and as the Istanbul Medical Faculty from 1908 to 1933. Later, the Faculty of Medicine was transferred to the Ministry of Education and the Hospital section was transferred to the Ministry of Health and repair work was started. In 1934, construction works that lasted 16 months were started and Haydarpaşa Numune Hospital started its activities with a ceremony with 225 beds in 1936. The operating room was built, and then the X-ray, vital chemistry, eye, ear, bacteriology, anatomy, pathology and dental laboratories were made and other departments were opened gradually in 1936. In 1949, Haydarpaşa Numune Training and Research Hospital started to train nurses and laboratory professionals by giving her first graduates. The hospital has achieved many firsts in providing healthcare services. Turkey’s first Reanimation Clinic in 1959. Dr. It was established in our hospital by Cemalettin ÖNER.
In 1964, it became the largest intensive care unit with 30 beds. In Turkey, the first gastric resection were performed in this hospital. The first certified plastic and reconstructive surgery specialist came out of the hospital. In 1968, the first silicone breast prosthesis was realized in the hospital. In 1991, kidney transplantation (from cadaver) was the first public kidney transplantation in Haydarpaşa Numune Hospital. The Emergency Medicine Clinic of the Ministry of Health is in our hospital. Again, it is a hospital that performed liver transplantation in training and research hospitals in Istanbul.